Like almost every other website you are likely to encounter, our website collects some personal information in the course of your visits. Unlike many websites, we do not collect this information for commercial gain but in order (1) to monitor and improve the operation of our website and (2) to provide information you request.
Please read the explanation below and use our website if you accept the approach we are taking to preserving your right to privacy.
What information do we collect?
System Change Not Climate Change collects two distinct types of information.
We collect “analytics” that do not personally identify you to us
We use a product called Google Analytics to monitor and analyze the use of our website. Google Analytics is a service offered by Google that tracks and reports website traffic. For more information on Google’s privacy practices, please see Google’s Privacy and Terms: https://policies.google.com/?hl=en You can opt-out of having your data used by Google Analytics on our site and others by installing the Google Analytics opt-out browser add-on: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
We may collect the following non-personally identifiable information through Google Analytics:
- The type of browser and operating system you use
- The date and time you visited our website
- The Internet address of the site from which you linked to our website
- Which pages you viewed on our website
- Your Internet Protocol (IP) address—a number that is automatically assigned by your internet service provider to the computer you used
We collect personally identifiable information to provide information that you request
In some instances, System Change Not Climate Change may ask you to submit information that could be used to identify you. We only collect this information when you voluntarily provide it to us:
- Your name, email address, city, state, ZIP code, country, and other information you share when you sign-up for our newsletter, sign-up to comment or make a donation.
- Details of any donations you make to System Change Not Climate Change, including the amount, currency, and method of payment. We do not store your credit-card information or banking details—that’s handled by our third-party secure-payment processors.
- Comments you post in response to particular articles or posts.
- Other information you voluntarily submit in a form on our website or that you share when you contact us.
If you’d like to know what identified information we have about you, and to request corrections, contact us through the on-line contact form.
How do we use this information?
We use the non-identifiable personal information we collect to improve our website, understand what is most interesting to our visitors, and help us plan our overall strategy for communications.
We use the personally identifiable information for the purpose you gave it to us. For example, if you subscribe to our email list, we will save your email address to send you our occasional newsletter and other communications.
System Change Not Climate Change does not rent or sell your personal information and we will share it only with the parties described below, as required by law, or with trusted third parties with your permission.
- Service providers—To operate and maintain our website, we work with various service providers, such as our webhost, web designers, and others. We do not authorize them to use or disclose your personal information except in connection with providing their services.
- Payment Processors—We work with a third-party payment processor (PayPal) to help process credit card transactions and other payment methods when you donate to System Change Not Climate Change. Payment processors will store certain personal information about you. However, they are required to protect the confidentiality of the information, and to use it only for the limited purpose for which it was provided.
It is possible that System Change Not Climate Change could be legally required to share personally identifiable information about you. We reserve the right to share your data if it’s legally necessary, or out of safety concerns.
We may also share generic, aggregated demographic information not linked to personally identifiable information with third parties.
Are comments you post on the website private?
If you choose to post comments on our website, you are communicating publicly. If we have reason to believe that communications left on the site are not from those who identify themselves as the authors, we will delete those comments.
How can you opt out of further communications?
The personal information you provide will be used to keep you informed and up to date on the activities of our organization — including publications, programs, services, special events, funding needs, and opportunities to volunteer — through periodic contact.
If at any time you wish not to receive any of these, simply use the unsubscribe option at the bottom of our communications and we will gladly accommodate your request.
How can you get more information?